Monday 21 June 2010

“Soccer? Fútbol? Who Cares, That’s the Eiffel Tower!”




I sprint towards the metro station, looking ahead as my friends descend the escalator. The USA – Slovenia game is starting in fifteen minutes and we are only now arriving at the subway station. “The ride takes at least 20 minutes,” I think to myself as I begin to hop down the stairs. Reaching the ticket machine, I am once again surprised by the fact that my wallet is forgotten in Luxembourg. “Shit, I need some money!” Ben risks everything on a no-looker, behind-the-back toss, and a solitary two-euro coin somehow navigates its way over the ticket gate and into my desperately outreached hand. A one way metro pass and a quick sprint later, and I’m on my way to watch the World Cup in a setting where I would pay to watch “How It’s Made.”

When we finally arrived at the massive outdoor television screen, I realized that soccer is much more than a sport for many people, not only in Europe, but around the world. We got some drinks and found a spot to sit down on the crowded artificial soccer field below the TV. After some time, my gaze wandered to the top of the video screen. It was then that I realized where I actually was. Behind the massive TV was the towering steel structure known around the world as the Eiffel Tower. Only in Europe could 300 soccer fans crowd together on a field to look a television and not notice that the Eiffel Tower is 200 yards behind it. I began to wonder how important the World Cup must b

e to Europeans. The Eiffel Tower was built for the 1889 World’s Fair and is still the tallest building in France. It is 324 m tall and is easily the most recognizable structure in France, if not the world. Yet, I was standing in front of a glorified big screen TV, surrounded by 300 soccer fans, and not one of them was looking at the Eiffel Tower. But then, in the middle of my thoughts on geography, the US scored a goal to tie the game at 2-2. 80% of the crowd jumped to its feet and started yelling in 3 different languages. I was surprised at the number of Americans attending the game. It seemed like everyone around me was from Ohio. I knew that Americans travel more than most of the world, and attending a soccer game in France could prove that to anyone.

As the end of the game rolled around (still tied at two thanks to a nonsense call by one of the refs), I once again considered the paradox o

f 300 people sitting in front of the Eiffel Tower looking at a TV. Only then did I realize the impact that a sport can have on a culture. Soccer is as much a part of Europe as the Eiffel Tower. When I first arrived at France’s World Cup venue, I was surprised that people could concentrate on a soccer game with the Eiffel Tower looming in the background. However, by the conclusion of the game, I understood that soccer may well be as much a part of Europe as the Eiffel Tower.

3 comments:

  1. All the font got huge and it won't let me edit the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this blog and how you incorporated the geography of where you watched the game into it. Watching that game right in front of the Eiffel Tower was an incredible location to cheer the USA on in the World Cup. I remember how great of a game it was that we almost came back and won from a 2-0 deficit. I'm still a little bitter at the terrible call by the ref but that didn't seem to ruin the experience for you either.
    As for soccer being just as important to France as the Eiffel Tower is, I completely agree. The World Cup is more than just a game. It represents nationalism throughout the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris I enjoyed the humor in your first paragraph. Your description allowed me to visualize the situation. I too watched the game and was fascinated by the turnout and excitement during the game. I had no idea that soccer was going to be this crazy here in Europe, but now that I have joined in, I feel pride for America. When the U.S. takes the field, I can't help but think about home. The World Cup is one of the greatest symbols of nationalism. And yes, its easy to forget the Eiffel Tower when a giant TV screen is blocking it.

    ReplyDelete