Monday 21 June 2010

World Cup under the Eiffel Tower? Why not!?


The World Cup, which is played every four years, is one of the greatest unifying sporting events that takes place in the world. Nations rise up together to cheer for their team and follow every game like it’s the last one they would ever see. A true sense of nationalism comes out from each competing country during this one month spectacle and perpetuates throughout the entire world. So when I visited Paris last week, I knew that I wanted to watch the United States vs. Slovenia game somewhere near the Eiffel Tower in order to indulge myself into the city center and witness the World Cup craze first-hand.

Three of my friends and I heard of a place to watch the soccer game outside on a huge projection screen right behind the Eiffel Tower. It was called the International Fan Fest and is located in other cities throughout the world as well. We knew this was the perfect place to watch the game and planned to cheer our home team on and show our nationalism in front of the Eiffel Tower. After taking the metro and walking up through the Eiffel Tower, we were anxious to see the score because we were late getting to the festivities. We scurried up to the big projection screen and realized that we were down 1-0 already. However, this didn’t put a damper on our mood because when we looked around there were hundreds of fans screaming and watching the game on a mini soccer field that was lined with booths selling beer and sandwiches while the Eiffel Tower loomed over top of the screen in the background. It was truly an unbelievable sight to see.

As we ordered our pint of beer, we sat down on the field and looked around at the many different national soccer team jerseys that some of the fans were sporting. There were jerseys ranging from Algeria, Brazil, France, USA, Portugal, Slovenia, and Mexico. Noticing all of these different teams that were represented by their fans caused me to realize that nationalism is such a strong concept that is present throughout the entire world. Soccer epitomizes such strong nationalism and is such a nationalistic sport that it is often associated with globalization because it has been spread throughout the world. According to Franklin Foer in “How Soccer Explains the World,” he states that “the game seemed much further along in the process of globalization than any other economy on the planet.” When standing in front of the Eiffel Tower watching this game on the big screen, there was nothing that seemed clearer than that statement. I have never seen this much pride in one’s own country then when I was watching this soccer game. With all of the different countries widely represented, it was obvious that these fans came from all over the world to watch this game and cheer their country on in the World Cup.

Looking on into the distance and forgetting the intenseness of the game, I realized that the Eiffel Tower was a perfect example of what nationalism and national identity was all about. It was just a coincidence that one of the most recognizable structures in the entire world and a structure that serves as a symbol for Paris and France as a whole country loomed in the background of the soccer game. Staring at the Eiffel Tower, I thought of how incredible it is that this structure has been standing since 1889 and has given France something to view as a symbol of their national identity. Now, over a century later and after soccer has grown extremely popular throughout the world, national identity is not only being expressed through monuments and symbols, but it is being expressed through the game of soccer. Looking around at all of the USA fans and knowing that we shared an incredible bond because we were from the same country, I couldn’t completely fathom how incredible of a situation I was in. When we came back from a 2-0 deficit early in the second half and tied the game up 2-2, my fellow US comrades and I jumped up and down and gave each other high fives while chanting “USA-USA!” It was an unbelievable couple of minutes that I knew I wouldn’t get to experience in my life ever again. Although the game ended in a tie, it was something I would never forget no matter what the outcome.

To follow the World Cup live, visit http://www.fifa.com/.

3 comments:

  1. I am glad you wrote a blog about this because I'll be going to Paris with family in a few weeks, and trying to see a game at the Eiffel Tower sounds like something worth checking out! It is awesome that they projected the game in front of such a historical monument, especially considering that they weren't even in the game (and by then they were out of the competition). That sounds like an incredible experience for you and really a great example of the marriage between soccer (football) and nationalism on the global scale. It is a powerful outlet of emotion and nationalistic pride. I remember watching that game in a pub in Luxembourg City cheering when the US tied the game while I was surrounded by people screaming "OBAMA OBAMA." It's fascinating that American politics, arguably independent of American soccer, are seen as one and the same during World Cup matches.

    Though I stand by it, the score should have been a 3-2 victory for the USA. The referee made a horrible call by taking our 3rd goal away. Here's to a good game this week and a long ride for "Uncle Sam's Army!" (another great point is that the fans are named for the stereotypical nationalist identity - Uncle Sam)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian,

    This was truely a game that I will never forget. It definitely ended up paying off for us to go to that. I think the thing that surprised me was the people playing football while we watched it. It just brought into perspective how much these people love this sport and have a passion for it. Although it is not very big in America now, I do think it will continue to grow in popularity.
    For me, the coolest part about watching that game was just the general atmosphere. We were sitting at the foot of the eiffel tower and watching the United States make us proud. There are few moments in life that are that sweet and it is one I will nver forget. I think you did a great job in capturing the emotion and intensity of the game. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian, this sounds really cool. I wish we could have come and watch it as well. Paris was definitely a great atmosphere with the World Cup going on. I really liked how you decribed the atmosphere and the Eiffle Tower in the background. Seeing that area and big TV looked really cool. I like how you described the World Cup and how important it is in Europe, unlike the United States. I wish that the World Cup would be as popular in the United States.

    ReplyDelete